The Regional Director Africa will be responsible for guiding the strategic development and alignment of GOAL’s existing country programmes in Uganda, Ethiopia, South Sudan, Sudan, Niger, Zimbabwe, and Sierra Leone. The RD Africa will focus on strategic development of GOAL’s presence in Africa in line with the organisation’s global strategy.
Reporting to the Director of International Programmes, the RD will be responsible for providing leadership and line management to Country Directors and provide a key management link between Country Teams and GOAL’s HQ team on high level issues relating to a) leadership and Organizational Development, b) Business Development and Partnership and c) Governance and Communications.
- Develop and expand GOAL’s network of strategic, regional and global partnerships and assist Country Director to develop, nurture and expand national partnerships
- In coordination with GOAL’s Funding and Business Development unit, provide focused business development support to Country Directors, in the pursuit of strategic funding opportunities and the completion of high-quality proposals that align with GOAL’s strategic priorities
- Lead GOAL’s participation in regional-level representation with governments, donors, UN agencies, NGOS and civil society networks and other partners where appropriate.;
- Manage GOALs relationship with key donor agencies at regional level staying abreast of donor trends and priorities and also ensuring good communications at regional level in relation to existing donor funded programmes being delivered by GOAL.
- Provide guidance to Country Directors in their development of country strategies in line with GOAL’s strategic objectives
- Oversee GOALs risk management framework in the region in coordination with country teams ensuring that risks are properly reported and addressed including crisis management and Speak Up Complaints.
- In coordination with GOALs Emergency Response Unit, strengthen GOALs readiness to respond to emergencies in the region, in-line with GOAL’s Emergency Response and Preparedness plans.
- Participate in shaping high value communications messages that communicate the outcomes and impact of its programmes tailored to different audiences.
Qualifications and Experience;
The Regional Director (RD), is expected to have significant management and international experience in senior management positions (minimum 7 years) , including a commitment and passion for humanitarian relief and development work. The RD must also have relevant language skills, and have the capability to support and oversee program design. The RD will ensure the quality of programs by working closely with the Country Directors to achieve same and will also develop new programme and funding opportunities, and drive performance, learning across multi country teams and results.;Experience Required:
- 7-10 years in country management roles with an international NGO.
- Post-graduate qualification or equivalent relevant experience in a relevant discipline.
- A diverse background in both humanitarian and development programmes at a senior level, strong analytical skills, and the ability to respond and adapt quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work with diverse teams, local government, community leaders, partners (local and international) to work effectively to deliver agreed goals.
- Proven track record in representation and negotiations.
- Ability to manage security and safety issues in fragile and emergency contexts.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills with proven ability to lead, manage and inspire multidisciplinary and multicultural teams, often remotely.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Strong understanding of the mission and values of GOAL and a deep commitment to adhering and leading the commitment to living those values.
- Commitment to regular travel is essential.
Our package includes a competitive salary, 22 days annual leave and the possibility to join our Health care scheme. Additional benefits are available after 12 months of service. Candidates should be based in Ireland, UK or any GOAL country of Operations
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated.; Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible.; This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date.; We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.