Webinar 2 - From Crisis to Resilience: Progressing Health System Resilience in Fragile and Conflict Affected Contexts
This 90-minute webinar will address the main challenges and discuss innovative approaches in applying systems thinking to build health system resilience in fragile and conflict affected contexts. Panelists from USAID MOMENTUM Integrated Health Resilience, RAND Corporation and UCL will aim to answer the following questions:
What are the challenges to progress resilient health in fragile and conflict affected contexts?
- What learning can be drawn from the impact of the COVID 19 Pandemic relating to progressing resilient health in fragile and conflict affected contexts?
- Does a resilient health system translate into health resilience in fragile and conflict affected contexts?
- What new innovations or approaches in systems thinking can be applied to build resilient health systems?
This webinar is free and open to all.
Meet the panel
Mary Van Lieshout
GOAL Deputy CEO and Head of External Affairs
Resilience Lead in Health for MOMENTUM Integrated Health Resilience at GOAL-US Fund
Laura E.R. Peters
Research Fellow at University College London
Social Scientist at The Rand Corporation
Webinar 1 - Strategies to Progress Disaster Resilience in Fragile and Conflict Affected Contexts
On Monday 11th October the 1st webinar in our 'From Crisis to Resilience' series took place - 'Strategies to Progress Disaster Resilience in Fragile and Conflict Affected Contexts'.
This 90-minute webinar explored the key challenges and strategies to progress disaster resilience in fragile and conflict affected contexts. Our panel of experts drew on years of experience and lessons learned from the field in the Middle East and Latin America. Panelists from GOAL, Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI), UNDRR and Irish Aid attempted to answer the following questions:
- What are the main challenges to progress disaster resilience in fragile and conflict affected contexts?
- Is resilience a remedy for fragility?
- Can a systems approach be used to enhance resilience through disaster risk reduction programmes in fragile and conflict affected contexts?
Presentations from the panelists
Meet the panel
Ambassador David Donoghue
Former Ambassador at Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and Ireland’s Permanent Representative to the UN
Dr Ronak Patel
Director of Urbanization and Resilience Programme at the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative
Deputy Chief of the Regional Office for the Americas & the Caribbean of the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR)
Dr Georgina Jordan
GOAL Head of Emergency Response
International Research Scholar at the University of Sydney and Harvard Humanitarian Initiative Visiting Scientist at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Patrick Mc Manus
Deputy Director, Policy Unit, Development Co-operation & Africa Division of Irish Aid
From Crisis to Resilience Webinar Series
'From Crisis to Resilience' is brought to you by GOAL, The Rand Corporation, University College London and The Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, sponsored by Irish Aid. The innovative series will explore the emerging lessons and best practices for building resilience in the most challenging of environments - fragile and conflict affected contexts.
Learning and investing in resilience at various stages, and within critical socio-economic systems, is crucial to ensuring the preservation of gains in the well-being and development of people in the face of shocks, and to shift from humanitarian assistance towards long term resilient development.
- November: Progressing Health System Resilience in Fragile and Conflict Affected Contexts. Date to be confirmed.
- December: Systems Approaches to Urban Resilience in Fragile and Conflict Affected Contexts. Date to be confirmed.