Head of Legal
GOAL has responded to the world’s major humanitarian crises since its founding in 1977, working with vulnerable communities in more than 60 countries over the last 40 years. While GOAL continues to be an agile first-responder to humanitarian crises, it is also committed to working with vulnerable communities to help them survive crises and support them on the road to recovery.
GOAL’s purpose is to save lives and empower communities to develop resilience and greater control over their lives and livelihoods. GOAL aims to increase the resilient wellbeing of the world’s poorest people and focuses on those who are excluded or marginalised, particularly those who are vulnerable due to socio-economic status, gender or age.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an organisation with a very important mission. Working in a dynamic fast paced work environment, GOAL is seeking to recruit a passionate, experienced, Legal Counsel to help us achieve our important global mission.; The individual will work closely with multiple members of the senior leadership team at HQ and across global operations. GOAL offers a competitive salary; professional development opportunities; and a operates a flexible hybrid working model (attendance in office required once per week)
- Leading the legal function of GOAL and its engagement with stakeholders, internal and external.
- Adhere and demonstrate an active commitment to GOAL values throughout work practices.
- Ensure duties and responsibilities of the legal function (detailed below) are carried out to a high standard and ensure changes/amendments to legislation are proactively identified and communicated to CEO and relevant senior stakeholders within GOAL.
- Provide legal advice and support to the senior teams across GOAL and to the Board of Directors.
- As Assistant Company Secretary, the role requires working with the Company Secretary to ensure statutory company secretarial obligations of Group legal entities are complied with (e.g. ensure board and committee meetings held with minutes being recorded; corporate records and statutory filings are maintained; etc);
- Support the business (people and process/systems) to continuously strengthen and improve the quality of the legal documentation.
- Compliance: advise on processes to ensure compliance with relevant laws applicable to GOAL and necessary filings with applicable regulators aligned to overall organisational compliance strategy in place in GOAL;
- Work closely with the Compliance and Risk functions within GOAL to assist in achieving the highest levels of compliance and risk management globally;
- Manage and develop GOAL’s relationships with external pro bono lawyers who support and volunteer services to GOAL;
- Maintain strict confidentiality, independence, integrity and awareness in all dealings internally and externally, including the building of strong internal and external relationships.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Review, draft and negotiate a broad and diverse range of contracts with our partners and suppliers globally, including key strategic projects; supplier/service/consultancy contract; grant and sub-grant Contracts; MOUs; NDAs; collaboration Contracts etc.
- Ensure timely progression of contracts and advising stakeholders on contractual obligations, potential legal risks and liabilities. Advise on negotiating/terminating existing contracts.
- Ensure flow of liability from main contracts to sub- contracts, as necessary.
- Assist in the development of best practices to maintain standard contract management, tools and precedents.
Legal Case Management (Ireland, UK and Countries of Operation)
- Work with in-country management teams and local legal counsel to maintain and progress existing portfolio of legal cases/disputes before complaints bodies/courts/tribunals. Proactively work with the relevant in-country senior management and local lawyers to assess and strategically analyse merits of legal claims/cases, ensuring effective management of same.
- Active monitoring of global legal matters through GOAL’s legal case management software and active engagement with all in-country senior managers and members of HQ senior management team.
- Provide timely and practical legal advice and guidance across the organisation to a wide range of departments and in-country teams and ensure such advice and guidance is consistent with law and organisational policy; furthers the vision and mission and appropriately balances operational and programmatic objectives and legal risks.
- Governance: supporting strategic corporate projects including revising governing documents, intra-group and inter-company frameworks/agreements and other strategic alliances.
- Support HR department on employment related issues.
- Provide legal guidance on data protection and privacy matters, work with external pro bono lawyers to prepare inter group data transfer agreements and provide support to the DPO.
- Liaise with external counsel as necessary, ensuring efficient and effective use of external costs.
- Participate in ad hoc projects and tasks including training and capacity building of governance and legal issues within the organisation.
Assistant Company Secretary;;
- Support the Company Secretary in all matters which includes monitoring changes in relevant legislation and the regulatory environment and take appropriate action/oversee systems that ensure the company complies with all applicable legal and statutory requirements.
- Ensure statutory filings are made in Ireland, UK and provide and in all other jurisdictions where GOAL has a presence.
- Maintain statutory books, including registers of members, directors, secretaries, beneficial owners, and sealing.
- Prepare agendas and papers for board meetings, and annual general meetings (AGMs) and provide support on the follow up on action points.
- Take minutes, draft resolutions, and lodge required forms and annual returns with CRO; Companies House, relevant Charity Regulators; and other regulators/stakeholders.
- Manage all in-country requests for Power of Attorney/Legal Representative status; collating of information; drafting or reviewing of POAs; obtaining necessary board approval; liaising with notary and the department or foreign affairs/embassy as relevant.
- Monitoring GOAL Policies review schedule and work with the senior team and Board to ensure all GOAL policies are updated in a timely manner;
- Liaise with external regulators and advisers, such as lawyers and auditors.
- Responsible for all corporate files administration.
- Keep abreast of new laws; rules and regulations, ensuring best practice and compliance with company and charity law, among others.
- Cooperation with Internal Audit, Investigation and Donor Compliance functions, ensure adherence to donor requirements and monitor and implement actions necessary to address adverse findings/trends at global and country level.
Experience & Skills
- Professional legal qualification as solicitor or barrister
- Minimum 7 years' post-qualification experience in a senior role in-house, in a law firm or at the Bar; international experience in the development sector is an advantage.
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective relationships with colleagues and external partners.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation, and inter-personal skills with the ability to gain and sustain trust and confidence at all levels of the organisation.
- Ability to work independently and on own initiative and to take pro-active and innovative approach to solving complex problems.
- Flexible, organised and performance focused, strategic thinker.
- Good general knowledge of current events, particularly international affairs and international humanitarian law and policy
- Commitment to GOAL's work and core values
- Honesty, integrity and a commitment to openness and transparency
GOAL is committed to a Policy of Equal Opportunity; female candidates and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Accountability within GOAL
A commitment to GOAL values and GOAL’s integrity framework is critical to working with GOAL. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability: 1) Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols; 2) Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area; 3) Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with GOAL as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Equal Employer Statement
Consistent with GOAL’s core values of humanitarianism; integrity; respect; partnership and courage, we place a significant emphasis on equality in our working environment.
GOAL is committed to treating all its employees with dignity and respect and values diversity, which it believes enriches an organisation. To reinforce this commitment, all company activities, policies, practices and procedures are to be carried out in accordance with this global standard.;
All employees share in the responsibility for fulfilling GOAL’s commitment to equal employment opportunity and equal treatment. GOAL does not discriminate against any employee or volunteer; or any applicant for employment or volunteering on the basis of age, gender identity, ancestry, political opinion, civil status, medical condition, ethnic background, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.;
GOAL believes that our strong commitment to equal opportunity and equal treatment helps to ensure that there is no unjustified discrimination in the recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, compensation, benefits, retention, and discipline of staff and volunteers.
GOAL aims to provide a work environment that fosters fairness, equity, and respect for social and cultural diversity, and that is free from discrimination, harassment as determined by applicable laws.
General Terms and Conditions
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.