GOAL’s Investigation Unit – an overview
;In 2016 GOAL launched its Investigations Unit with the intent of increasing its capacity to deter, detect and investigate fraud and wrongdoing. ;An internal entity within GOAL, this unit is intended to provide the organisation with an ability to have investigations conducted in an independent, fair, transparent and professional manner by experienced investigators. The Investigations Unit will support the generation of improved data for use by GOAL’s Senior Management Team (SMT) when reporting to its Board, investigative bodies, donors and other relevant partners.
;To achieve these aims, the main work packages to be implemented by the Investigation Unit include:
Establish a fit for purpose investigation unit/capability within GOAL.Assist GOAL in assessing the risks posed to GOAL from criminal conduct.Conduct investigations ranging from fact-finding exercises to focussed investigations into allegations of criminal conduct including fraud, theft, misappropriation of funds, bribery, corruption and breaches of conflict of interest rules, procurement procedures, ethics legislation, etc.Provide expert advice and support to relevant GOAL staff and departments (including the Senior Management Team, Regional Directors, Country Directors, Internal Audit and Compliance staff, etc.) on issues around anti-fraud, anti-bribery, anti-corruption, whistleblowing and conflict of interest, in addition to the provision of guidance regarding investigative best practice.Assist in exploring all legal remedies aimed at recovering losses to the organisation and its donors arising from fraud or any other criminal conduct.Assist in the provision of training on all aspects of countering Fraud and other wrongdoingLiaise with all law enforcement, compliance and regulatory bodies in assisting in any investigations pertaining to the GOAL organisation;
Overview of the roleThe Financial Investigator role combines accounting knowledge with investigative skills in various investigative situations. This is an important role in a new unit, therefore it will be expected that the incumbent will contribute to the ongoing management and development within the team.
;Oversee and/or assist in investigations of allegations of wrongdoing across GOAL countriesAssist in the assessment process of complaints coming to the attention of the organisationReview ;financial data to identify inaccuracies and discrepanciesPerform investigative research to trace funds and identify assets for recoveryConduct investigative analysis of financial dataGather financial and any other relevant information concerning any suspected activities that have the potential to cause reputational, financial loss or the misappropriation of GOAL resources.Prepare investigation plans and reports from findingsDevelop strategies for the prevention, detection and investigation of wrongdoingLiaison with law enforcement authorities and donors in the facilitation of any ongoing external investigationsProvide investigations trainingRequirements (Person Specification)
Accounting Qualification (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA)High level of initiative, motivation, commitment and professionalismUp to date knowledge of current financial and accounting computer applicationsExcellent verbal, analytical, organizational and written skillsHigh level on attention to detailStrong communication skills as role will involve cross communication with all other departmentsDesirable
Qualification in forensic accountingExperience in investigationsExperience in humanitarian sector
GOAL is committed to a Policy of Equal Opportunity; female candidates and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Accountability within GOAL
- A commitment to GOAL values and GOAL’s integrity framework is critical to working with GOAL. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability: 1) Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols; 2) Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area; 3) Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
- Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with GOAL as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Equal Employer Statement
- Consistent with GOAL’s core values of humanitarianism; integrity; respect; partnership and courage, we place a significant emphasis on equality in our working environment.
- GOAL is committed to treating all its employees with dignity and respect and values diversity, which it believes enriches an organisation. To reinforce this commitment, all company activities, policies, practices and procedures are to be carried out in accordance with this global standard.
- All employees share in the responsibility for fulfilling GOAL’s commitment to equal employment opportunity and equal treatment. GOAL does not discriminate against any employee or volunteer; or any applicant for employment or volunteering on the basis of age, gender identity, ancestry, political opinion, civil status, medical condition, ethnic background, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
- GOAL believes that our strong commitment to equal opportunity and equal treatment helps to ensure that there is no unjustified discrimination in the recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, compensation, benefits, retention, and discipline of staff and volunteers.
- GOAL aims to provide a work environment that fosters fairness, equity, and respect for social and cultural diversity, and that is free from discrimination, harassment [and vilification] as determined by applicable laws.
General Terms and Conditions
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.